A number of departments at Central Michigan University are looking into allegations of hazing. One student went to the hospital after, he says, people at the Alpha Chi Rho fraternity smeared peanut butter on his face while he was passed out. He’s allergic to peanuts. The incident occurred in October. It was finally reported this week.
University officials they’ve reached out to the – now former- student and his family. Officials say the fraternity where the incident occurred is not a CMU frat. The group was removed from campus in 2011, and has not been allowed back in, despite making requests.
Damon Brown is Director of the Office of Student Activities at CMU. He says when a fraternity is removed from campus, it can become a problem, “We do not like having groups off campus not be recognized, that’s a bad recipe. And if you look at most institutions across the country, any institution will say that’s a bad thing, because there is no control at that point in time.”
Brown says CMU will investigate the alleged hazing incident, even though it occurred off campus at an recognized group because it involved one or more students.
The university lists unrecognized fraternities on its website, you can view the page here http://fraternitysororitylife.orgsync.com/Unrecognized_Organizations