Motorists can file for damages due to potholes

PotholesIf your car has been damaged by a pothole this wintry season there may be something you can do about it.

The Michigan Department of Transportation is reminding people that – in some instances- you can file a claim for damages with the state if your car is damaged by a pothole.

The important thing is to read the fine print.

For one thing, the motorist must be able to show that MDOT knew about the problem pothole and failed to fix it for at least 30 days.

Also, the pothole must be on a state trunkline highway with an M, I or US prefix.

Roads that don’t meet the guidelines fall under the jurisdiction of counties and cities, said Jeff Cranson, Director of Communications at MDOT. “ With a winter like one we haven’t had in decades it’s going to produce some incredible potholes. And you’re going to see them on the state routes that MDOT has jurisdiction over. But you’re also going to see them on the counties and local roads. Especially in the cities and urban areas.”

Cranson said MDOT encourages motorists to report potholes so they can be fixed as soon as possible.


Pothole Claims (