State House approves moving lawsuits against the state out of Ingham County

gavelLegislation that would change the way lawsuits filed against the state are handled will go to Governor Rick Snyder’s desk — and he’s expected to sign it.

SB 652 would move the Michigan Court of Claims out of the Ingham County Circuit Court. The county leans Democratic, and the court has ruled against Republicans on big issues in the past.

Democrats say the bill is an attempt to rig courts in favor of the GOP.

“Don’t stand up here and say that this is about getting voters their rights, because this is about a blatant political grab and hiding things that are currently in this court,” decried state Rep. Sam Singh (D-East Lansing) on the House floor Wednesday.

But Republicans say one county should not be able to decide cases that affect the entire state.

“We have 3% of the population of this state electing the judges that sit on the Court of Claims,” said Rep. Kevin Cotter (R-Mount Pleasant) during the House debate. “To carry that out further, the other thing that is certain is that 97% of the state population does not have a voice in that process.”

Cotter says making it a division of the state Court of Appeals would also make it easier for people to have their grievances heard.

Share Button